Monday, September 3, 2012

Happy Labor Day!

I hope everyone is enjoying their day off today! (Hopefully you DO have off, as you rightfully should!) Connor and I are currently at his parents' house. We went to the beach yesterday and got home late after taking the ferry, so we decided to stay the night instead of driving an hour back home.

We had so much fun at the beach! It was a beautiful day of relaxation and eating really delicious food. There were really cute babies there, too! Nothing beats little rubber babies. Connor played beach volleyball with the guys, which was fun to watch. It was a great way to end the summer and soak up every last bit of the sun before cold weather hits!


I can't express how truly excited I am for Fall weather. It's by far my favorite season and it's a shame that it's so short. If I could have my way,  Fall would last until the week before Christmas. However, would it be as magical? Probably not. So we must enjoy the beautiful colors, the perfect 60 degree weather, and rainy afternoons while we can. Oh, and no more bug bites! *sigh of relief*

So I know most of you are probably thinking "Enough about you, lady! What about the medical student?" Okay, okay.. here it is. Connor has been watching plenty of lecture videos about things I wish I could wrap my mind around. Some of what he is studying includes: Genetics (like I said, I wish I could understand), Embryology, and Anatomy. Embryology definitely seems more interesting. Connor is obsessed at looking at spines now and how they curve.  It has something to do with how the spine develops in the fetal stage and continues to develop after the baby is born. So if your baby is around, he will probably have an urge to look at his/her spine to see how it is developing.  Totally normal!

Speaking of normal, Connor has been working on a cadaver in anatomy lab, which he has affectionately named "Hank." When I say "working on" I mean he has opened the back, dissected through superficial muscles of the back and the deep tissues, opened the spine with bolt cutters, studied the spinal cord, opened the chest cavity, removed the ribs with a bone saw and dissected out the lungs. If you need to take a breather after reading all of that gross information, please do. It makes me queasy just thinking about it. Thankfully Connor has a strong stomach. I'd be a wreck in that room!


So living with a medical student definitely has it's pros and cons. I absolutely love having a stethoscope in the house. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac, so anytime my stomach feels even the slightest bit off, I love asking med student Connor to take a listen in to hear my inner workings. Hey, you never know if he might catch something! The cons? Well, I'll definitely have to get used to seeing him sitting in the living room reading a book while simultaneously listening to a lecture with headphones on and talking to himself in a language foreign to the one we communicate in. But really, it's awesome when he gets enthusiastic talking about these things and his eyes light up. Ladies & gentlemen, the shoe FITS! This is totally what he's meant to be doing. God bless his journey to doctorhood! :)

Talk to you all soon!
Mandy


No comments:

Post a Comment