Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Back to School Week

School is officially in session and it's CRAZY. I started student teaching yesterday in a high school full of hormonal teenagers and no AC. Needless to say, it was chaotic. My cooperating teacher is awesome, so I'm very, very lucky. She makes me laugh all day long. But she's also really caring, which is so important when it comes to our ESL kiddies! The day flies by because of the constant shifting from one classroom to the next in such short amount of periods. We push-in for three science periods (Living Environment & General Science), and two math periods (both Algebra 1). Working in Science and Math classrooms is definitely a departure from what I'm used to, but I'm learning so much about the different demands of a secondary ESL teacher. We have one period of ESL III (my favorite period, of course), which is where I'll be doing my solo teaching. Pause for a shudder. It's kind of scary, but I'm ready to just get started. No time for anxiety to set in. Monday will be my first lesson all by my little self. Hopefully, I do well and the kids don't walk out on me.

Connor had Anatomy lab today and they worked on the heart. He and his group were randomly chosen for the quiz today. The professor plopped a bleeding (okay, so not really bleeding, but this is how I imagined it) heart in front of them and pointed to a specific part of it and said "What is this?" I would've said "gross viscera" but I don't think that would've flown. Of course, Connor got that question right because he is incredibly awesome at all things science related. (He's so cute, too.) If the anatomy stuff doesn't get you, my nauseating lovesick rambling will.

So, right now I'm working on putting together tomorrow's ESL III smartboard lesson about organizing ideas into groups. And Connor is sitting in the living room doing his usual stuff: burying his head into 4 textbooks and listening to a lecture with headphones on. Normal night! We have been exhausted lately with the move during this hectic week. Thankfully, my momma-bear came over for night to help me clean-up and organize the kitchen. That was a big help. We still need to get the living room and bedroom put together, but I'm sure that won't happen until this weekend when we MAYBE get time to breathe. Connor has his first HUGE exam on Monday, so I don't expect to see much of him. If I do see him, it will be the Connor that I described above. Hopefully he will kick butt on his exam and feel wonderful when it's over.

No comments:

Post a Comment