Monday, April 29, 2013

Looking Back and Feeling the Love

Hello hello, friends! How was your weekend? Connor and I had a busy, but fun-filled weekend, which was nice... until I realized how exhausted I am today! On Friday, I had a wine night with my girly, Kim. I realized drinking wine out of a leopard-print goblet probably isn't the best idea because you think you're having one glass, but in reality it's the equivalent to 2 and a half. I certainly had fun, but the next morning my tummy hated my guts... literally and figuratively. Then on Saturday, we went to a BBQ that one of his friends from school had at her house. The party continued all day basically, so by Sunday I was POOPED.

Since I was living it up all weekend, I had to do all my chores and errands on Sunday. (Don't Sundays just stink?) But luckily I found the energy to get everything done! I also finally exchanged Connor's wedding band for a smaller size. Hopefully this one isn't too small. I might freak out because it has been seriously annoying trying to get this done. The ring needed to be ordered in a size that wasn't available anywhere, so we had to wait until the jewelry store was able to get the ring. Lucky us! But after all my hardwork, I stopped by Banana Republic Outlet for their 50% off sale, and bought myself an awesome beach hat for the honeymoon! It came out to be like $17! I think it's totally worth it. Connor said I should keep it forever, so I can wear it on our beach trips with our future kiddies. How cute is he?!!? Really though?!!

On Friday, prior to my wine night, I baked a blueberry loaf with walnuts to surprise Connor when he came home from clinic. I've been kind of slacking in the baking department (but for a good reason!). I've been really trying to watch what I eat with my first dress fitting quickly approaching. But then Connor made a remark about how he missed my baking and I immediately felt like CRAP. Although, it was nice to hear how much he appreciates it! :) Never miss a good thing till it gone, right? Anyway, so then I got a little crazy and also baked chocolate cookies with chocolate chips. Terrible for my "diet", but a dream come true for the boy.

To make up for some of my calorie splurging, I've been making lots of yummy salads. They are so good, and also a nice, quick meal to make for myself! :) Really convenient for those days when you're not in the mood to cook an elaborate dinner. This happens to me when it starts to get warm outside, so salads become my get-outta-jail-free card.

Connor is really stressed because he has a ton of work right now. He has a presentation on Thursday (his topic is Dermatitis Herpetiformis) and on top of that has to get his learning issues done for Wednesday. I feel terrible because I can't really do anything to help! All I can try to do is make life easier with cookies and trying to be quiet as I can... which I'm naturally not that great at, but I've been getting better!

The other day I thought back to when Connor first started this med school journey this past August and can't believe the progress we both have made. In the beginning, everything was so new, stressful, and scary and now we have fallen right into our groove. It certainly is still stressful (that will never go away), but in a different. It used to be stressful adjusting to the radically different lifestyle and the nervousness about us surviving this insane journey without killing each other. Now, I have absolutely no doubts about whether or not we can get through this process happily and still with our sanity intact. I keep telling myself how silly it was to feed into all the ridiculousness that I would read on the internet. Every relationship is different and go through challenges differently. Luckily, Connor and I have so far experienced minimal challenges this year. And yes, it is only first year, but it still has proven to me that we only strengthen each other when one of us is in need of it. We really are a great team and I'm so grateful of that. He knows that I will always do my best to support him and to make this journey as easy possible for both us. We depend on each other in such a balanced and loving way, so I know only good things will come out of all of this. :)

As we embark on our last month of Y1, I really couldn't be prouder of him for almost reaching the finish line. He got through it without barely breaking a sweat! ;) I'm so happy that I'm marrying such a strong-minded and motivated person. He makes me want to be the best version of myself and I really can't ask for more than that in a partner.

Love,
Mandy <3

No comments:

Post a Comment