Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Our Honeymoon

We left for San Juan, Puerto Rico 2 days after the wedding, thankfully! Because that gave us just a little bit of time to get our lives kind of back to normal before leaving.

The day after the wedding, a major clean up of the house was in order. Our home was a mess from everyone coming in and out, and making bagels and mimosas. My kitchen was gross!! Connor was so sweet--he swept and vacuumed while I washed dishes. We also needed to go the bank, shop, and pack all before leaving for the airport on Wednesday at 4:15am. We spent all of Tuesday shopping and packing and didn't get to bed until midnight to then wake up at 3:30. UGH. Needless to say, I was SO cranky when Connor woke me up! I kept telling myself, "WHYYYYY did we leave all the packing until the last minute?"

Somehow, we were right on time to leave for the airport. We had a car pick us up, which eliminated so much stress. We bought egg sandwiches at an airport deli and waited to board. As soon as I got on the plane, I fell asleep and didn't wake up until I heard a message about us needing to make an emergency landing in Bermuda. Yes, an emergency landing because a woman on the plane got sick. I felt like I was in a movie. I rarely fly, but when I do... something crazy usually happens. I think I might be jinxed. Luckily, the woman was fine, but the emergency landing delayed our arrival in PR for another 2 hours. Yuck.


When we finally made it to our destination, we were exhausted and starving! But we were so excited to be at the resort! It was so pretty! The weather was gorgeous and we couldn't wait to put on our swimsuits. Our view from the room was perfect. The restaurants on the resort were incredible... expensive, but incredible. Our favorite restaurant was called Lemongrass, which was a fusion of Asian and Latin foods. We ate yummy sushi made with lobster, yellow plantains, and churrasco (Spanish fried steak).

We took afternoon and night trips to Old San Juan, which were so much fun! We took tours of the fort, El Morro, and El Castillo de Cristobal. It was so cool to see all the history. It was a little exhausting though with the insanely hot weather! We refreshed ourselves with street ice treats coquito (an coconut icy) and piragua (shaved ice with syrup over it). SO yummy! We also enjoyed all the local restaurants. All the dishes were so tasty. I definitely ate my fair share of yellow plantains (they are my favorite!). One of my favorites was a chicken mofongo dish, which is mashed yellow plantains with garlic and butter and filled with chicken.

By the end of the trip, I was kind of excited to head back to our NY lives as relaxed, tanned newlyweds and see our families again. I couldn't wait to watch our wedding video and relive the day again. I still can't believe it's over, but I'm so happy to enjoy summer as a married couple with no more crazy planning! Now it's time to start saving money, so we can buy a house by the time Connor graduates!  HOPEFULLY! I'm staying optimistic.

Stay cool in this hot, hot heat!

Love,
Mandy


No comments:

Post a Comment